What is the key to lead a successful online business? High quality products and being active in all the marketing fields. But sometimes we forget about a simple rule – how they see you, that’s how they perceive you. Most of the online store owners choose basic templates, which causes that lots of the websites looks exactly the same.
How to change it?
First way is to hire a graphic designer and web developer, but it would be definitely an expensive solution. But there is another way to do it – getting started with your own Shopify theme. Yes, it won’t be easy to get familiar with this, you will be definitely impressed by the results.
Find out Top 3 Tips For Building Your Own Shopify Theme!
1. Familiarize yourself with Timber theme framework
What is Timber? It is an open source theme framework acting as bare-bones, so using it is an ideal way to start learning how to do your own Shopify theme. It’s equipped with everything you’d need to build your first theme: lots of templates, snippets, and code which is able to download and use personally.
Why choosing Timber on the beginning of your journey with creating your own Shopify theme? Thanks to Timber the theme building process is simplified, so you can spend more time on design and development issues.
If you would still need some help, here is a list of some useful tools you might look for:
– Theme Kit – cross platform for build Shopify themes. It will create your own theme using Timber and then update your configuration.
– Shopify Theme Gem – tool that allows you to edit and manage theme directly on your computer,
– Desktop Theme Editor – an app which is designed for Mac OS, another theme editor with appealing interface.
2. Learn Liquid basics
I know, it doesn’t sound good, but trust us – it’s more easy than you could ever imagine. All the Shopify themes are powered by an Ruby-based language called “Liquid”. It translates HTML into a content in Shopify, which means turning data into a template.
Don’t worry – it might seem quite confusing, but there are lots of useful resources to help you in your first steps with Liquid:
– Getting started with Liquid – a simple guide through Liquid basics and templates designing,
– Shopify Design Tutorials – guides about designing turned into video descriptions,
– Liquid Cheat Sheet – easy-to-use Liquid cheat sheet with elements and descriptions included,
– 11 Easy to Learn Tips for Liquid – a nice article where some useful Liquid tips were described.
3. Design is a key, so be creative!
Here is a place where you can let your imagination run wild. It’s really important, because one of Shopify themes requirements is to create something that is more insightful than those ones who have already exist. But how to find the right inspiration? First, keep looking at existing themes to find out how they are constructed. By observing and experiencing you will definitely notice what is the user’s need that wasn’t met before. Think about yourself as a potential customer – how theme should look to meet my expectations perfectly?
Always be sure that your ideas are completely different than existing themes – who knows, maybe you will find yourself as a Shopify theme designer?
Don’t forget also to familiarize yourself with Shopify themes guideline and review process, otherwise all your effort can go down the drain.
Conclusion: Learn, try, be creative. That’s the way you will definitely win this battle!